Differentiated Instruction as a Tool for Achieving Equity
and Excellence in Today's Schools
Date: March 4, 2016
Time: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
Location: Seawell's, Columbia, SC
As schools grow increasingly diverse, it is critical for educators to examine beliefs and practices that either support equity of access to excellence for a broad range of learners, or diminish it. In this presentation we'll examine:
- Why we need to see learners and learning with new eyes
- The potential of differentiated instruction as a framework for creating classrooms that support academic success for a very broad range of learners
- Using teacher-created lessons and video footage, spotlight key practices of differentiation that are necessary to provide equity of access to high quality learning opportunities for all learners
Win $2500 Whole Child Grant for Your School!
In support of ASCD's Whole Child Initiative, this program seeks to identify schools in South Carolina that have created a school culture with programs that exemplify one or more of the five tenets of The Whole Child Initiative: Healthy, Safe, Supported, Challenged, Engaged.
Schools applying for one of the awards will be required to submit a completed application along with supporting evidence to South Carolina ASCD according to program timelines.
All applications will be reviewed by a selection committee to determine which schools should receive the recognition and a $2,500 grant, given for the purpose of implementing other goals related to one or more of the tenets of The Whole Child Initiative.
Collaborative Agenda for K-12 Education
On January 13, 2016, South Carolina ASCD sponsored our first Collaborative Day of Advocacy at the South Carolina Statehouse. In strong partnership and unity with seven South Carolina professional associations*, we were proud to roll-out the Collaborative Agenda for Pre-K - 12 Public Education, an exciting document of common goals for the children of South Carolina.
Following a breakfast in the Blatt Building on the Statehouse grounds, participants walked to the Capital for a press conference, culminating with participants meeting their legislators to present copies of the Agenda to them and to advocate for public education in South Carolina.
2016 ASCD Annual Conference
Register by February 3 to secure your early-bird savings!
Date: April 2-4
Location: Atlanta, GA
The 2016 ASCD Annual Conference is the must-attend event for educators of all levels. From hands-on workshops to inspiring speeches, ASCD 2016 has more than 200 sessions on an extensive range of topics. So whether you are a new teacher or a seasoned administrator, you can customize a program to meet your professional needs. Join your peers to share knowledge, learn from others, and gain tools to help lead education into the future.
- More than 200 sessions featuring leading voices like Pedro Noguera, Alan Blankstein, Baruti Kafele, Shanna Peeples, Todd Whitaker, and many more!
- Networking opportunities, including a welcome reception and networking luncheon.
- More than 20 pre-conference institutes provide intensive and immersive learning experiences in sessions about curriculum, instruction, assessment, and more.Team discounts: every fifth person you register from the same school or organization is free.
Preparing the Future
Grants & Awards